The Society's Urban Photography Series includes guided photo tours of neighborhoods in each of the District's eight wards. The tour of Brightwood (Ward 4) was led by Pat Tyson.
PICTURED: This building opened in 1912 as the Military
Road School, the area’s third public elementary
for African Americans. For decades it was the
only public school serving black children in
Upper Northwest and nearby Maryland. In 2003 the Military Road School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in 2007 re-opened as the Latin American Montessori Bilingual Public Charter School.
Shot 6/29/2013. Credit: Anne McDonough, © Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
2013HSWHistorical Society of Washington DCUrban Photography SeriesWard 4Brightwoodphoto tour